Deadline: September 27, 2017
Through its Creativity and Innovation Initiative, the Geneva Centre for Security Policy (GCSP) and its Geopolitics and Global Futures Programme established in 2015 an annual prize to recognise deserving individuals or organisations that propose an innovative approach to addressing international security challenges. The prize is designed to reach across all relevant disciplines and fields. It seeks to reward the most inspiring, innovative and ground-breaking contribution of the year, whether this comes in the form of an initiative, invention, research publication, or organisation.
The Geneva Centre for Security Policy is an international foundation with 51 member states from across the globe. It provides forward-thinking and innovative solutions for leaders concerned with international affairs and security in today’s complex, globalised world. With this initiative, the GCSP intends to foster creativity and innovation across its thematic programmes and fields of activities. It aims to create spaces where different cultures, domains, disciplines and generations can interact in order to gain new insights and generate new ideas.
- The prize consists of a cash award of CHF 10,000. The prize will be awarded to the winner at a Ceremony in Geneva;
- In addition to the prize, all travel to, and attendance at the ceremony will be paid by the GCSP. Travel includes, where applicable, standard or economy-class round-trip air travel to Geneva from the nearest international airport, and overnight accommodation.
- The prize is awarded for a project by any individual, or group of individuals, or organisation (from private or public sectors), which contributes to global security, and has been submitted for consideration according to these rules and regulations. No more than one application per applicant is allowed;
- Applications may come from any country, but the project should go beyond national borders in its reach or thinking, and must seek to address global security in innovative ways or through new ideas. A broad range of projects could qualify for consideration, including, but not limited to, technological and conceptual innovations, original research or grassroot initiatives;
- Employees and staff of the GCSP, as well as their family members are not eligible participants;
- Applications must be in English.
The winner will be selected by the panel of judges, and selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Dedication to sustainable global security;
- Preservation of human dignity, security and justice;
Applications must be submitted via the online application form in order to be considered for the prize, and shall include:
- a project abstract of 250 words maximum;
- a well-developed project description which should not exceed 1,000 words in length. The application should include a description of the initiative or project, an explanation of the concept’s significance in the context of global security and our collective global future, and should clearly demonstrate how the idea provides a novel contribution to this field;
- up to five image files (optional).
The deadline for applications is September 27, 2017 at 18:00 UTC+2. The winner will be announced in November 2017.
For more information, visit GCSP Prize for Innovation in Global Security