Apply for ICANN61 Fellowship Program 2018 – Fully funded to San Juan, Puerto Rico
Deadline: September 15, 2017
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is now accepting applications for its Fellowship program for individuals interested in attending ICANN61, the Public Meeting taking place from 10–15 March 2018 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The Fellowship Program seeks out individuals who are interested in, or already engaged in, the various aspects of ICANN‘s work in policymaking, the operation of the Domain Name System, and the security and stability of the global Internet.
The goal of the program is to help create a more diverse and a broader base of knowledgeable constituents who can engage in the ICANN multistakeholder process and become the new voices of experience in their regions and on the global stage. Since its creation in 2007, the Fellowship Program has built a strong group of individuals who are actively participating in ICANN communities and in other Internet governance entities within the Internet ecosystem.
Participation covers a range of activities:
- Writing articles and blogs
- Giving online or in-person public comments about bottom-up policymaking
- Participating in Internet conferences and panel discussions
- Joining working groups
- Mentoring newcomers
- Assisting their regional leaders
- Becoming leaders themselves
Selected candidates are provided a grant of support that covers the cost of economy class airfare, hotel and a stipend.
Fellowship recipients are expected to engage prior to, during and after the ICANN meeting with the ICANN Fellowship office, Program Alumni, Newcomer Coaches and their selected peers, as well as begin to actively contribute to ICANN processes upon completion of the Program.
Priority is given to candidates currently living in underserved and underrepresented communities around the world, those who represent diversity of gender, sector, region, experience, and expertise, and/or have established financial need.
- Candidates from all regions and sectors are welcome to apply to the ICANN Fellowship Program.
- The Program is targeted at individuals who: show awareness of, but are either new to the ICANN environment; are familiar with ICANN but have yet to attend a face-to-face meeting; have started participating in ICANN through the Program or by successful applicants will have demonstrated: other means but need travel support and/or an additional Fellowship opportunity to broaden their knowledge and deepen their engagement.
- Candidate backgrounds are diverse: government, the ccTLD community, civil society, academic, legal, technical, and security, commercial and non-commercial sectors. These individuals must NOT be involved in or associated with other ICANN supported travel programs at time of selection.
Successful applicants will have demonstrated:
- Desire and ability to utilize the experiences gained from the Fellowship to become an active member of the next generation of ICANN‘s volunteer community
- A role or interest in the Internet space, specifically as it relates to the work of ICANN
- An interest in contributing to:
- ICANN policy development processes
- The ICANN Fellowship Alumni network
- ICANN outreach in their sector, community and region
- An ICANN supporting organization, advisory committee, stakeholder group or constituency
- A returning Fellow (Alumni) who can provide documented support from community leaders and/or ICANN regional staff as to their continued engagement and work related to their Fellowship and ICANNexperiences, as well as articulate specific goals for a particular meeting which may include Newcomer Coach
Fellowships are assessed by an independent selection committee based on the ability of the individual applicant to meet the Applicant criteria, and ranked through a scoring process that prioritizes those applicants who not only meet the criteria but also show: diversity in gender, sector, experience, expertise; that they are a member of an underrepresented or underserved community; with consideration given to financial need. Applicant experience and references also may affect final selection.
If you have any questions regarding the application, please send to email@example.com. Successful candidates will be announced on 1 December 2017.
For more information, visit ICANN61 Fellowship