Deadline: September 17, 2017
Application for the YALI Regional Leadership Center, Southern Africa Residential program cohort 12 is now open. The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), launched by former President of the United States Barack Obama is a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders.
YALI RLC SA will develop young African leaders in Business and Entrepreneurship Development; Civic Leadership; and Public Management and Governance through a hybrid of innovative and complimentary approaches that include contact sessions, mentoring, industry placements, and experiential learning. The residential and in-person program will be four weeks long.
The development and curriculum content of the Regional Leadership Center Southern Africa (RLC SA) as led by the University of South Africa (Unisa) are heavily influenced by the developmental, political and economic dynamics of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) region. The centre will have year-long access to the state-of-the-art facilities at the Unisa School of Business Leadership in Midrand, South Africa for the English speaking participants. The same program will be replicated in Mozambique for Portuguese speaking participants as a way of reaching and opening access to the disadvantaged Lusophone communities. Contemporary African issues such as HIV/AIDS, gender, responsible leadership and technology will also be infused into the program to develop young and transformative African leaders.
In pursuit of these ideals, the RLC SA aims to:
- Create critical thinkers,
- Solve complex and multidisciplinary problems,
- Foster entrepreneurial thinking,
- Foster innovative use of information, knowledge, and opportunities,
- Encourage communication and multicultural collaboration,
- Create awareness of contemporary African issues,
- To provide the platform and tools to empower dynamic young Africans, and
- To awaken their innate leadership potential for the benefit of Africa and its global partners.
- There is no fee to apply for or attend the program. Successful applicants will be provided round-trip transportation to the program, lodging, meals, and course materials.
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Age (18-35)
- English language proficiency
- Portuguese speaking participants will be accommodated in the Mozambique Hub at UEM
- A commitment to positively impact Africa, their own countries as well as communities
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and interest in Public Management, Entrepreneurship Development, and Civic Leadership
- Commitment to serve the development agenda of the African continent
- Young leaders from the following countries are eligible to participate in the programme: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Selection for participation in the YALI RLC SA will be conducted by a selection panel which will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A proven record of leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement. They can be new entrants in public and private service institutions looking to develop their leadership abilities.
- Proven record of knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected.
- Proven record of active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- Selected participants applying for the contact session must be willing to travel to the RLC SA in Midrand, Johannesburg or Maputo for the duration of the program.
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
For more information, visit YALI Southern Africa.