Deadline: November 30, 2017
Applications are now open for the 2018 Australia Awards Africa Post-Doctoral Fellowships. This Phase 2 of the Post-Doctoral Fellowships is piloted in partnership with theAustralia Africa Universities Network (AAUN) and is open to eligible applicants affiliated to Ghanaian, Kenyan or South African Universities that are members of the AAUN.
During the pilot phase, the Post-Doctoral Fellowship provides financial support. Fellowships will be up to two years in total, comprised of research components in both Australia and Ghana, Kenya or South Africa but limited to 12 months in Australia.
The Pilot Post-Doctoral Fellowship program seeks to:
- develop on-going educational, research and professional linkages between individuals and universities that are members of the AAUN, in Australia and Ghana, Kenya or South Africa
- provide opportunities for high achieving academics to improve their research skills and contribute to development outcomes in Africa
- contribute to Australia’s position as a high-quality education and training provider and a leader in research and innovation
- contribute to the research capacity of Ghanaian, Kenyan and South African tertiary institutions, and
- contribute to public and economic diplomacy efforts.
Australia Awards aim to promote knowledge, education links and enduring ties between Australia and our neighbours through Australia’s extensive scholarship programs. The initiative aims to build a new generation of global leaders with strong links to Australia. Australia Awards are the flagship of the Australian development cooperation program and are an important component of Australia’s investment in education.
Types of Awards
A candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of an eligible African country as outlined in the table in Annex 2 of the Post-Doctoral Fellowships Guidelines
- Must be studying in Ghana, Kenya or South Africa
- Must have the right to reside and work in Ghana, Kenya or South Africa
- Must be affiliated with their home institution in Ghana, Kenya or South Africa in an academic/research capacity
- Be at least 25 and not more than 50 years of age at the date of application
- Home and Host Institutions must be members of the Australia Africa Universities Network
- Not be a citizen of Australia, hold permanent residency in Australia or be applying for a visa to live in Australia permanently
- Must not be married, engaged to, or a de facto of a person who holds, or is eligible to hold, Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, at any time during the application, selection or mobilisation phases
- be able to satisfy all requirements of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to hold a Temporary Activity Visa (subclass 408). This may mean that DFAT will need to withdraw an Award offer if the Awardee cannot satisfy the visa requirements
- Have been conferred a PhD at the time of application
- Field of research must be aligned to Agricultural Productivity, Health and Science and Technology
- Must have a letter of support from their home institution that outlines their agreement to the Fellowship, Annex 4 of the Post-Doctoral Fellowships Guidelines
- Must have a letter of invitation from the Host Institution in Australia, outlining their commitment to the Fellowship, Annex 4 of the Post-Doctoral Fellowships Guidelines
- Must be able to commence their program in the academic year 2018
Steps required to apply for a Post-Doctoral FellowshipSteps required to apply for a Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- Step 1 Read the Post-Doctoral Fellowships Guidelines to gain an understanding of the program and requirements for the application.
- Step 2 Review and ensure that the minimum eligibility requirements, outlined in the Post-Doctoral Fellowships, are met.
- Step 3 Read the Grant Agreement that you will be required to sign, (Annex 5 of the Post-Doctoral Fellowships Guidelines. Ensure that you are able to agree to these, within seven days of an offer being granted. If the offer is not accepted within this period, the offer may be withdrawn.
- Step 4 When all conditions and eligibility criteria have been met, obtain an Application Form for the Post-Doctoral Fellowships. You will be able to download a form which will outline the steps required to successfully submit an application
- Step 5 Complete the form and submit an application. Once you have successfully submitted your application, an email acknowledging the receipt of the application will be sent to the email address provided.
Please note that, once an application has been submitted, no further changes (including the addition of any documents) can be made. For more information on eligibility and the application process, request information from email@example.com.
For more information, visit Australia Awards Africa Post-Doctoral Fellowships.